I'm sneaking in a picture of the finished path. I realized I hadn't put one on yet!
This is the 'before' picture to show you what the southeast side of the front yard looks like. The potting bench and tiny tool shed will go here. The rhodies and bird bath will be moved. The other plants in the picture are our neighbor's.
Now for the potting bench. Kip and I found this old workbench for free on craigslist. The wood was unsealed, so we painted the boards with white paint. The boards on the top were rotting, so we removed them.
We replaced the boards on the top with the old planks we removed from behind the asbestos siding (project from March 2009). These planks are nearly 100 years old. To protect the boards against the outdoor elements, we sealed them with the same sealant we used on the deck.
Kip screwing planks to the table.
After securing the top, we nailed 6"x6' cedar fence boards to the back of the table.
It was really hard to get them perfectly even at the top, so we used a small strip of wood as a trim to hide this.
Finished potting bench in its new home! Those 4 posts next to it are the skeleton of the shed Kip is making me! Photos on that to come...