flora+domas

There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort. ~Jane Austen

Monday, February 8, 2010

NW Flower and Garden Show!























Kip and I had a great time at the F+G Show! I highly recommend checking it out. We planned ahead of time which seminars to attend and looked at the display gardens and vendors in between.

Seminar Highlights:
- "Starting Seeds on a Budget" presented by Willi Galloway, a Seattle native. Willi has a wonderful blog www.digginfood.com that I'm going to follow. Later that evening I was looking at Sunset mag (04/2009) and who should I see by Willi in an article about growing edibles in your garden!
- "How to Eat your Front Yard" by Marianne Binetti. I am now obsessed with the idea of growing Purple Ruffles Basil (pic on the upper right) and Aurora Blueberry Bush and Camelia Sinensis (flowers can be used for tea!) in my front yard.
- Best Roses for the Pacific Northwest. I've got my eye on the fire-orange hybrid tea rose "Voodoo" but that's it for the hybrids. I've always loved the old garden roses and I'm thinking about the Konigen Von Danemark. I'm intimidated to get in on the whole roses scene and will need to do more research.
**There were many other wonderful classes I didn't get to attend this time around.**

Vendor Highlights:
- Cold frames using old windows. I don't remember which garden this is from (I know that's really bad and I'm sorry!) but I love the idea. We saved the original windows from our house and now I think we know what to do with them!
- Rotoluxe! This Edmunds, WA company makes beautiful plastic pots made of 100% recycled plastic bags. They are very urban, cheeky and come in awesome colors. http://www.rotoluxe.com/products.php
- Birdbath from Marenakos Rock Center. I fell in love with a stone columnar birdbath I saw in someone's yard and haven't been able to find any for sale! I was delighted to see them in several display gardens at the F+G show, which sited Marenakos as the supplier. http://www.marenakos.com/colgal/coldish.htm

I can't wait to go again next year! ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment